Long-distance relocations are not easy, not only because of the moving process, but the period after moving is very stressful too. New people, new job, new home, everything will be new to you – so you need to adjust. Depression after moving is common, unfortunately, but you must adapt fast. Leaving Manhattan for San Diego is a big step in life and a big change.
A lot of people are experiencing homesickness when moving to San Diego even it is a city full of different events and attractions. It is normal part of the moving process, but you need to know how to handle it. Moving from New York to California will change your life and some routines too.
Why are people leaving Manhattan for San Diego?
If you are still prepared for a big relocation, you should know the reasons why people are moving from the NYC to San Diego? These are some of the pros of living in San Diego and what it has to offer:
- Weather is amazing. If you are tired of snowy and cold winters, leaving Manhattan for San Diego is a good idea. There is always sunny and nice.
- If you love to drive, living in San Diego will allow you that, which is not the case in Manhattan. You can even take fun road trips.
- Beaches in San Diego are a perfect place where to spend hot and sunny days.
- Because of the amazing weather, you will spend plenty of time outside hiking, swimming, relaxing, biking, etc.
- The median home value is lower in San Diego than in Manhattan. Although, the costs of living in San Diego are still high for the US average, it is cheaper to live in San Diego.
- If you are relocating to San Diego with kids, don’t worry, it has amazing schools and San Diego is a family-friendly city.
Explore California and know some facts before moving to San Diego so you will adapt faster. When you know what to expect after moving, the adjusting process will be easier and faster.
First, organize your relocation from Manhattan to San Diego
Before you move from NY to CA, you need to hire professional movers because long-distance relocations are not simple and easy, especially not if you are moving for the first time.
Leaving Manhattan for San Diego requires moving preparations and help from moving experts. The distance between Manhattan, NY and San Diego, CA is around 2,800 miles, which is at least 43 hours driving (without pauses). That is hard to handle, this is why you need to research long-distance movers and to hire the best one. Zenith Moving Manhattan is one of the options to consider.
Research movers online and make sure they have a license for moving from state to state (US DOT number). Don’t move without insurance and license.
The costs will depend on the size of your move and moving services you need. If you need a storage unit, packing services, or any other addition service, it will cost more. You should know that there is a wide array of options and solutions when it comes to moving services.
Adjust fast after moving – tips
There will be many surprises for New Yorkers in San Diego because a lifestyle in California is totally different from a lifestyle in NY. Learn how to deal with this and how to adapt after moving.
- Know what to expect, starting from the costs of living to a lifestyle. Learn as much as you can about San Diego, housing options if you are moving with kids, research schools, etc.
- Unpack as soon as possible because you won’t start a new chapter in life if your moving boxes are all around the house. Finish that quickly and personalize your new home.
- Meet your new neighbors and be open to new friendships. Get to know people around you, co-workers, other parents in the park, and exchange experiences about relocation and the San Diego lifestyle.
- Explore the city and find your new favorite spot. This will help you feel like you are home, not in a different city. If you are moving with your family, do it together and spend some quality time with them.
- Be open to new experiences and say yes to new things. Try things you have never before, new food, new sports, visit different bars, be active, go out with new friends, it is a great medicine for depression after moving.
- Stay in touch with your friends and family from Manhattan, if some of them are able to visit you, that would be great.
What to do after moving to San Diego?
Of course, to adapt after moving, you need to explore San Diego. After packing, moving, unpacking, setting up a new home, it is time to go out and to research and try new things. After moving to San Diego you could visit some of these places:
- San Diego Zoo where you can see pandas
- Balboa Park
- Farmers Markets
- Spend a day in Mexico because it is near
- Try craft beers
- Petco Park
- USS Midway Museum
These are just some of the places and things you should try after leaving Manhattan for San Diego. Use this opportunity to try things you have never before – California offers plenty of different fun things. Good luck with this state to state relocation and try your best to be part of this big city in CA.