You ready for a change of scenery – coast-to-coast moving, beginning from the East coast and ending in San Diego. The only thing is that this type of moving is far more complex and challenging than your everyday relocation. Which is why we are here to guide you through everything you need to consider while planning your relocation.
Coast-to-coast moving tips and guidelines – San Diego style
Coast-to-coast moving is a grand undertaking. Don’t make the common mistake and underestimate or even disregard the hardship ahead. The time, money and energy spent on planning, organizing and executing a coast-to-coast relocation is nothing short of overwhelming. And this goes when compared to a local San Diego or short distance interstate California relocation. And to underestimate this task could result in a terrible moving experience. Not only that but a significant loss of money or even experiencing a coast-to-coast moving company fraud. This is why your best bet for “enjoying” a stress-free and optimal cross-country relocation is:
- prepare yourself for the challenge ahead through spot-on moving tips, and
- make sure to hire one of the best coast to coast moving companies out there.
Things to consider before coast-to-coast moving to San Diego
Given that the States stretch over an entire continent, it’s not unusual to expect differences. This especially goes when comparing one coast to the other. And it is hence why we advise that you factor in all the elements of your new destination: real estate expenses, job opportunities, climate changes, cultural differences, relocation costs etc.
Choosing the best path for your coast-to-coast relocation to San Diego
You might wonder how much a cross-country move so San Diego might cost you? Well, it all depends on the type of move and what you are moving. Depending on that, you can opt for any of the following:
- Full service relocation. This is the most expensive coast to coast relocation option. However, it is also the easiest one. Full service movers will handle all the aspects of the moving process for you – packing, loading, driving and unloading, and will provide whatever extra services you may require.
- Self-packing and professional transportation. This would be a combination of self-moving with professional relocation services. You do the packing/unpacking of your belonging, while a professional driver conducts the transportation. This option can save you around 25% of the overall relocation cost.
- Portable relocation containers. Similar to the previous option, here you are the one doing the packing and unpacking. However, unlike the previous option, you are not rushed here. The container is dropped off and left on your front lawn until moving day. After that it is picked up and transported to your new West Coast home, where you again have time to unload it at a steady pace. The main advantage here would be easy and time-considerate packing/unpacking.
- Complete do-it-yourself relocation. This is what you would consider your cheapest coast to coast relocation option. However, it is also the hardest option which can take a big toll on you, both physically and mentally. So if you do opt for this, consider getting at least some professional consultation from a professional mover (just to act as a safety net).
Take careful consideration before opting for either one. Do a budget calculation and an inventory check to help you get an estimate of what you’re working with.
Finding and hiring the right team for your San Diego coast-to-coast moving
Hiring professional coast to coast movers may not be the cheapest way but it is definitely the right way to go. It’s really simple when you think about it. Experienced relocation companies have the necessary know-how required to ensure maximum efficiency, safety and speed when moving long distance. All you have to do is find and hire the ideal San Diego relocation company. And here is how that journey should go in a few simple steps:
Make your coast to coast relocation easy by finding the ideal mover to help you.
- Find professional SD movers that offer long distance relocation. Ask for recommendations or check the movers’ online reputations by visiting their websites and reading moving reviews left by their previous customers in order to decide on the moving companies that seem to be most appropriate for your particular relocation needs;
- Secure on-the-spot cost estimates from the top five relocation companies.
- Plan out all the details of the relocation. This includes extra services and rates, ETAs, insurance, special conditions, potential restrictions etc.
- Compare all the offers you received and weigh in every factor before deciding. Then go for the best coast to coast relocation mover for you.
- Conduct a background check of the SD moving company. This is simply to avoid fraudulent companies and scams. This includes –checking the company licenses, doing a quick read-through the reviews and previous comments. And in addition, checking on any previous complaints with the BBB.
- Carefully read through all documents before signing the actual contract with the mover. And make sure all the conditions and costs you have agreed on are clearly stated.
Tricks on how to save money on coast-to-coast moving
We already mentioned that coast to coast relocation to San Diego is going to cost you. So here are some tips on how to save money while relocating:
- Make plans in advance and be prepared for all scenarios. Just like anything else, moving companies experience high-demand at certain times of the year. So if you can, adjust your schedule and ask your moving consultant about the most convenient day to move. Avoiding “peak dates” can save you quite a bit, especially if there are specials involved.
- Rid yourself of clutter belonging you no longer need. One of the easiest ways to cut costs is to get rid of things you no longer want or need. Have a couch or other furniture you’d rather not see in your new home? Don’t pay to move them — donate the items or have a yard sale before you leave. And if you’re moving from the east coast to California, you can probably get rid of a lot of winter clothing.
- Cut costs on packing supplies. Packing items in sturdy cardboard boxes will help keep them safe during transit and make it easier to load everything in the moving equipment.
Bonus tips for moving from East Coast to West Coast
There are some important factors you need to take into account when moving from East Coast to San Diego:
- Pack your fragile belongings with utmost care, so that they survive the long distance move in excellent condition (don’t forget to make a detailed inventory of the items you’re going to entrust to the movers and include proof of their current condition).
- Make sure to purchase the best moving insurance for your belongings to ensure peace of mind.
- Take a coast to coast road trip – whether you are going to fly or to drive to your final destination, how are you going to ship your pets across the country, how will you make the relocation easier for your kids, etc.
- MAKE THE MOST OUT OF YOUR SAN DIEGO COAST-TO-COAST MOVING ADVENTURE – SEMPER VIGILANS!